An A.C.T. of S.A.T.ire

The SAT. Just the sheer vocal pronunciation of the word could bring millions of high school kids to tears. Buckets of tears. Over 1.66 million students took the SAT (Scholastic Assessment Test) last year, and for the first time, the number of students who took the ACT (American College Testing) surpassed SAT takers by about 2,000 students. Students work for years to get a “good” score on their test. The average student spends $1,500 on SAT Prep. The reason behind these significant numbers is the satanic whisper in students’ ears of how “the SAT is the most important part of the college application process.” Here is a list of why the SAT is so very important.

Getting a good score on the SAT is the only thing a student needs to get into college. The SAT is so important that admissions officers at top-ranked universities do not even use the SAT to determine whether a student is college-ready! “Generally speaking, the SAT is not very important,” said  Marilyn McGrath, director of undergraduate admissions at No. 1 ranked Harvard College. “It helps us calibrate a student’s grades.” Jarrid Whitney, executive director of admissions and financial aid at the California Institute of Technology(No. 10)  “The SAT doesn’t drive our decisions.” Admissions offices look for applicants with plenty of community service, academic awards, volunteer work, and leadership skills.

All colleges use the SAT as a means of grading their college application. Yep!  All the colleges, especially the 850+ colleges that are test optional. These colleges de-emphasize the use of standardized tests by making admissions decisions without using the SAT or ACT. These colleges were crafted by God’s own hands.

The SAT assesses a student’s knowledge. This test is all about reasoning and logic. The SAT started in the 1930s as a scholarship test for Ivy League schools. Based off of an Army IQ test, it was meant to help those who came from more humble backgrounds to be noticed by prestigious schools. Many other universities followed suit. For us students nowadays, all the years of learning about the Civil War and the anatomy of a cell can be thrown to the wolves.

It’s time the SAT gets the boot. Reality cannot be reduced to a 1600 scale. The importance of life and the future is so much more than a standardized test. Even David Coleman, president of the College Board, the organization that owns the SAT, has for some time now been bashing his own test. There is an underlying mutual agreement between students and admissions counselors and the president of College Board, that it’s time to say goodbye to the SAT. Thank you Mr. Coleman, for ruining lives, one test at a time.