Andrew Golub Shreds

Whether he’s rocking out on stage or singing classical pieces in a choir, Andrew Golub, age 17, has encompassed all aspects of music into his life – and he’s only in high school.

Golub has involved himself in almost every musically related club and class here at Smithtown High School West – band, orchestra, chorus, AP music theory, jazz band and jazz ensemble. In addition to the many hours he spends practicing for these curriculars, Golub also participates in the pit for the musicals every winter.

“Playing in the pit was when I really started considering music as a career path,” Andrew said. “I love playing the instruments, the people involved in it are nice; basically there’s not a single thing I dislike about music.”

The first instrument Golub took a liking to was the piano when he was in fourth grade. Since then, he has learned how to play the saxophone, bass guitar, clarinet and drums. When asked his favorite, he said that it depended on the genre of music.

Andrew isn’t the only Golub that found his passion in music and art. His father and younger brother are piano players, and his mother has a degree in a field of theatrical performance. Golub’s great-grandmother was musically inclined as well.

On top of being a regular in the music wing at High School West, Golub has a job at Rock and Roll University, a music school in Hauppauge which provides its students with private musical instruction. Here, Andrew teaches private lessons and co-directs a junior jazz masters group.

“If I had a chance to play or teach music for the rest of my life, I would do it for free,” Golub says. “That is, if I wasn’t worried about being homeless or starving.”

As if he doesn’t have enough music in his life, Golub also plays bass in an independent alternative rock band, known as “The Little Red Men.” The band is composed of vocals, guitar, bass and drums which is played by Brandon Gurba, Nick Granelle, Andrew Golub and Jordan Godfrey, respectively. They started up their band in 2013 and have played at several high profile venues such as the Patchogue Theater and the Great South Bay Music Festival. The group has been featured in newspapers such as Newsday and The Smithtown News, and was declared “Best Band of 2014” by the Long Island Pulse Magazine.

“The band is something we’re all serious about. We take every opportunity we can, and we want to continue to make music beyond high school,” Golub said. The band is currently taking a hiatus from performances as they work hard recording their first album.

Golub plans to pursue music as he moves into his college career. He dreams of attending a school in New York City, particularly New York University. But Golub understands the risk of choosing this career path and the uncertainties that it entails.

“I worry about my future every second of every day,” he admits. “I worry about jobs, I worry about pay, I worry about living on the streets. But music is something I love to do. I couldn’t imagine myself doing anything else.”

Golub’s plans on pursuing music for the rest of his life. He doesn’t have a preference as to which field of music he ends up in; he would love to play in Broadway musical’s pit just as much as he dreams of being a rockstar.
“My ultimate goal,” Golub says, “is to influence musicians the way my favorite musicians have influenced me.”