Putting the Spotlight on a “Radical” Teacher

Mr. Miller is many things at Smithtown High School West. He’s a math teacher, the stage club club adviser and friend to his students. He has been in the district for 12 years now, and he has never failed to put his heart and soul into both the auditorium and his classroom.

Miller became interested in technical theater when he was in seventh grade when he helped out with the lighting. He continues with this through high school and took classes on lighting and technical production at Stony Brook University as well. Now, he passes his love of production onto the students in the Stage Tech. Club.

“The Stage Tech. Club is a school service club that provides lighting, sound, and technical assistance to any and all events that take place in our auditorium,” stated Miller. “This includes concerts, award ceremonies, the fall drama, the variety show and, of course, the school musical.”

Mr. Miller is the technical director of the school musical. He, with the help of the Stage Tech. Club, designs and builds the set, and also provides lighting and sound. “My favorite show that we’ve done at West was “Young Frankenstein.”” added Miller, “From the scenery to the special effects, to amazing talent on stage, it was the show that topped all others!”

Over the 12 years that Miller has been at West, the theater department has evolved. “The scenery has become more complex and we’ve had an increase in the number of people and students working on the technical side of the production,” explained Miller. “We have an ever growing stage tech club and, in recent years, the Art Honor Society and other art students have gotten involved in the artistic design under the direction of Mr. Halem. We couldn’t put on the shows that we do without each and every one of them.”

But all his hard work in the auditorium is not the only reason so many students love Miller. “He makes math fun!” Amanda Sanger, senior and a former student of Miller’s. Between the quadratic formula nursery rhyme, the hump day dance and the many, many puns, Miller’s class is always new and exciting every day.

But one of the best things about Miller is the connection he makes with his students. “He’s a teacher who truly cares about his students,” said Mikaela Merolesi, senior, current student of Miller’s and a member of the Stage Tech. Club. “He’s taught me about teamwork, tolerance and perseverance. He’s shown me that with diligence, kindness and dedication, anything can be accomplished.”

For years, Miller has done so much for Smithtown High School West and her student body. He impresses us with every show he produces. He makes us laugh (or groan) with every new pun. Inspires us with every new life lesson he teaches. So, thank you, Miller. Thank you very much.