Is College Still Worth It?

For generations upon generations, people have declared college the safest bet at a steady future. However, with uncertainty in learning mediums thanks to the pandemic, unemployment rates through the roof, and off the chart student loan debt that has yet to be relieved, more and more high school graduates are opting to pursue higher education. But can you blame them? It seems as though we may be reverting back to the old days of society, where university is only entailed for a select minority, while the masses turn to trades and alternative career paths. 

According to the National Student Clearinghouse Research Center, college enrollment has apparently dropped by 3.1% this year, adding to the 6.6% decrease since 2019. But why? While many look to the pandemic to blame, college enrollment has been on a steady decline for quite some time. With college price tags seemingly growing every year, domestic students were not attending, nor were many international students due to the great immigration debates of the 2016 election. However, the pandemic has without a doubt turned off many more American students from continuing school. Between the economic crisis and remote schooling, a lot of which was nullenvoid of learning, millions of dollars have been wasted on empty dorms and dining halls once filled with students for a long time. 

It seems as though, consequently, unemployment rates should be as high as ever. Yet as of today, the rate is just 3.9%, down ten percent from March of 2020. A great possibility for this statistic is that high school graduates are finally taking jobs in trades that have been begging to be filled for years, and it’s only that college hasn’t been as accessible as of recently that they are finally being taken out of necessity. As of 2018, some 30 million jobs in the U.S pay up to $50,000 (or more depending on skill set) and don’t require a Bachelor’s degree. The average starting salary for a 2020 college graduate matched, being $55,260 according to the National Association of College and Employers. Given that the cost of living is high as ever, and 38% of college graduates are projected to earn less than $60,000, it begs the question if there is even a point anymore in getting your Bachelor’s. 

That’s not to say there isn’t any merit in going to college. Assuming the economy bounces back as it routinely does after a slump, college will be more accessible and realistic for students, and they can pursue a career they want rather than focus on salary. The U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics indicates that college is a worthwhile investment, but just as always, students should be weary of how much they will spend. On the contrary, high schools should encourage and support students who desire an unconventional path that doesn’t require a degree to be successful.