Should Cellphones Be Allowed in School?

Students are always caught on their phones and get them taken away during the school day. Cell Phones can be a distraction to the class but are also a way of socializing. 

Phones in school sense an increase of safety. In lots of cases, a parent needs to contact the child and vice versa. Having a cell phone in school is an easy and safe way to contact someone. This is useful during medical emergencies. Cell phones also provide easy access to information. If a student is struggling with a topic, they can look up more information on it and can participate more. Independence may also be found with the use of cell phones. The students will access every learning material on their phones. They will be in charge of their own learning which could lead to independence. 

Cell phones are very distracting in everyday life. When a notification goes off, you are most likely to check your phone. Students won’t know what is happening during the lesson. When students are on their phones, they don’t complete their assignments and grades will start to drop. Cheating can also happen with the use of cell phones. Let’s say you’re taking a test and your phone is out, you can easily ask someone for answers or look them up. With the amount of students on social media, cyberbullying can also be an effect. The students getting bullied will be more focused on their phones than class. 

There are many advantages and disadvantages to why we should and shouldn’t have cellphones in school. They can both be positive and negative to learning. What do you think about having cellphones in school?